The Bus (Part II) - by Frankie

from last post... ... Once you are successfully aboard the journey begins. My ride involves a trip through a religious and poor neighborhood. Most men wear black suits and high black hats. They ride the city buses unhappily but with no other choices. These characters are skillfully careful to avoid looking, touching, or "G-D forbid" sitting next to a woman. This creates a volleyball type of rotation that invites you to almost cheer for the guy to find a suitable place to sit.
My goal each morning, is to find a side seat. The seats are signle and no rotation is necessary until reaching my destination. One can watch a person move certain muscles that give clues of their immediate departure. Passengers will wait like cats eyeing to possiblility of winning a side seat. No canes or walkers here. It seems safe enough!
Half the people on the bus are with you every day. They commute to work, school, or whatever needs calls them daily. The bus fills quickly as we wind through the streets of "Fiddler on the Roof Land". One feels literally thrown back to the 18th century. The community husltes and bustles about the streets and ultimatly lands on my bus. The packages and purses hit me and annoy me with each bump and turn. Not to worry, I do after all have a side seat. "Excuse me but the stroller wheel is crushing my knee." "The stroller's wheel is now breaking my left toe!" "Hello!" "Oh well too busy with morning prayers!" It is only one toe, I do have 9 more!
This morning the driver was in a very low mood. He moved and jerked the bus so fast my teeth rattled. Some drivers are people friendly and some wheel around akin to the Daytona 500. Everyone seems to survive the journey and arrive safely for another workday. My thoughts turn to my work and then a tingle of fear enters as I anticipate the wait for the ride home.
The summer heat is not pleasant if the sun beats down on your bus station. Bring lots of water and sun glasses are a must. Soon the journey home begins. "wow - there it is!" Mr. Driver: "why no air conditioning?" "Is it really broken?" "NO THANK YOU" " I will wait and wait for the next ride!" Maybe a pillow would be helpful as well!
There is more to this story, much more, but maybe another day - Good Night!

(PROLOG...)
The stories about the bus are meant to bring a smile to your face. Most of the time the ride is pleasant, on time and usually I can find a seat. The public transportation is very affordable and alternatives exist if the bus is not your thing. I do not worry about accidents or bombs or any misfortune when on the bus. It is just another Israeli experience to tuck within you heart as you go about life in Tel Aviv.

Comments